Dinah S. Qutob
I am a molecular and cellular biologist specializing in the generation and analysis of “omics”data. My primary research focus has been in investigating the genetic and epigenetic influences that govern the high evolutionary potential of eukaryotic pathogens. My research programs have always included the integration of genomic (transcriptomics- RNAseq), and epigenetic (small RNA profiling and methylomics) approaches to provide novel insight as to the global activation or repression of genes associated with virulence or the ability to cause disease on a targeted host. My work utilizes Next Generation Sequencing technologies and the predictive power of bioinformatics to address the molecular mechanisms underlying phenotypic traits or biological responses.
Microbiology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Epigenetics, Plant Pathology, Cell Biology, Biochemistry
SELECT PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- D. Qutob, B. P. Chapman, and M. Gijzen. Transgenerational gene silencing causes gain of virulence in a plant pathogen. Nat. Commun. 4, 1349.2013
- D. Qutob, J. Tedman-Jones, S. Dong, K. Kuflu, Y. Wang, D. Dao, B. M. Tyler, M. Gijzen. Phytophthora sojae avirulence genes Avr1a and Avr3a encode RxLR effector proteins and display copy number variation in different pathogen strains. PLoS ONE. 4, 4 e5066 2009.
- D. Qutob, B. Kemmerling, F. Brunner, I. Küfner, S. Engelhardt, A. Gust, B. Luberacki, H. Seitz, D.Stahl, T., Erich Glawischnig, G. Schweene, B. Lacombe, P. Watanabe, E. Lam, R. Schlichting, D. Scheel, K. Nau,G. Dodt, D. Hubert, M. Gijzen and T. Nürnberger. Phytotoxicity and innate immune responses induced by Nep1-like proteins. Plant Cell. 18 2006
- D. Qutob, E. Huitema, M. Gijzen, S. Kamoun. Variation in structure and activity among elicitins from Phytophthora sojae. Mol. Plant Pathol. 4, 119. 2003.
- D. Qutob, S. Kamoun, M. Gijzen. Expression of a Phytophthora sojae necrosis-inducing protein occurs during transition from biotrophy to necrotrophy. Plant J. 32. 2002.
- D. Qutob, P.Hraber, B. Sorbal, M. Gijzen. Comparative analysis of expressed sequences from Phytophthora sojae. Plant Physiol. 123, 243,2000.
- M. Gijzen and D. Qutob. Phytophthora sojae and soybean. In: Oomycete Genetics and Genomics: Biology, Interactions with plants and animals, and toolbox, eds. K. Lamour and S. Kamoun. Publ. Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, USA. Book Chapter.2009.
- D. Qutob, J. Tedman-Jones, M. Gijzen. Gene amplification and loss of virulence in a plant pathogen. Trends in Micro. 14, 11. 2006. Review
- General Microbiology with Lab
- Basic Microbiology
- Biology of Bacteria and Viruses
- Honors Cellular & Molecular Techniques
- Human Genetics
- Genes and Genomes I
- Genes and Genomes II
- Anatomy I
- Anatomy II
- Advanced Plant Pathology
- Integrated Pest Management
- Life on Planet Earth
- Science & Contemporary Health
- Lab Experiences in Biology