Advising Classes & Course Related Dates & Deadlines Employment & Internships Majors & Minors Scheduling

Undergraduate Advising

How can I contact an advisor?

College advisors work 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. (regular business hours) with a lunch break from noon to 1:00 p.m.  During these hours advisors are available by appointment or via email.  

When is walk-in advising?

Walk-in advising is only held the week before classes start and during the first week of the semester on a first-come, first-served basis.  For brief questions, a "Quick Question" advisor is available throughout the semester without an appointment.

I am in the CAS Learning Community. How do I schedule an appointment with the Learning Community advisor?

Karen Clement, is the Learning Community advisor.

Schedule an appointment with Karen Clement

How do I cancel my advising appointment?

The reminder notice you received via email when you scheduled your Advising appointment has a CANCELLATION link that will allow you to cancel your Advising appointment. You can also cancel an advising appointment, by calling our office at 330-672-2062 during business hours, preferably at least 24 hours in advance of the appointment.

May I bring someone to my advising appointment?

Advising appointments are one-on-one (student and advisor). Visitors accompanying students are welcome to wait in our lobby area until the advising session is concluded.  Federal law (FERPA) considers the student the "holder" of all college academic records.  A student's academic information will not be shared with anyone else outside the university, including parents or a spouse.  The student should expect to meet alone with an advisor.  If a student files a FERPA waiver, the parent who has been granted access may request information from the student's record in writing and s/he will receive a written response in return.  A student's academic situation will not be discussed with a parent/guardian either over the phone or in person.  

What is the difference between my professional academic advisor and my faculty advisor?

The professional (College) academic advisor is available for questions on University policies and procedures, College and University requirements (e.g., LER, Kent CORE), and feedback on program/course schedules.  The faculty advisor is the primary expert on major and minor programs; s/he can recommend courses to take, internships or research opportunities, and career/graduate school advice.  Please call the College office if you are not sure who to contact for help.

Who is my faculty advisor?

You may also contact the Department or office in which your major is housed, and they will give you the contact name of a faculty advisor.

Faculty Advisors

How can I change my assigned college advisor?

You may contact the College of Arts and Sciences Office of Undergraduate Advising and Student Services (330-672-2062).  You may also email your request to the individual college advisor you wish to have as your assigned college advisor.

Classes & Course Related

Where do I go for more information on study abroad/away?

Whether you are an international student interested in attending Kent State, or a current student who would like to study abroad, the Office of Global Education can provide you with more information.

What is the additional cost to my tuition if I take more than 16 credit hours (overload fee/tuition plateau) in 2014?

A flat rate applies to students (Ohio residents and out-of-state) taking between 11-16 credit hours.  An additional $456 per credit hour is assessed for each credit hour enrolled above 16. For further information, please contact the One Stop.

I wish to take more than 18 credit hours and I don't have the GPA for an automatic overload. (When do I use the Overload form?)

Students will need to fill out the Request for Overload form and submit it to the Office of Undergraduate Advising and Student Services in the College (105 Bowman Hall) for review. The form can be found at the Undergraduate Advising Forms & Policies page.

I am planning to take classes at another institution and want to receive KSU credit for them. 

This process is called transient work and each student must have the transient coursework form with PRIOR approval from a college advisor for the credit to transfer back to Kent State. Make an appointment with a college advisor (Bowman 105).  

Kent State University undergraduate students who wish to take academic work at other institutions must first obtain the approvals indicated on the transient coursework form (PDF) to determine accreditation status of the institution and that the courses taken at other universities and colleges will be applicable to Kent State University offerings and degree requirements.  

Kent State University students who wish to take coursework at another accredited institution of higher education must be in good standing, with a minimum GPA of a 2.00. All Kent State University prerequisite requirements for a course must be met prior to registering at another institution. All credits granted for transient work will be translated into semester hours. Grades received for transient work are not transferred; only credit hours are transferred.  The student must earn at least a "D" from a regionally accredited/internationally accredited school in order for the coursework to be accepted.

Approvals for transient attendance at other institutions are valid for one term only (quarter, semester, etc.) and are subject to all restrictions of the dean of their college.

It is the student's responsibility to work with the One Stop for Student Services to discuss how taking transient work will impact any scholarships and financial aid.

What is an upper division elective course?

Upper division courses start with a three or four (30000, 40000).  Pending your major the course may need to be in specific subject area.

How do I access my KAPS report (for catalog years prior to 2010)?

Log into Flashline and select the "Student Tools and Courses" tab. Select "KAPS" under the Graduation Planning System (GPS) list.  Your KAPS report will appear in a new window. You can run the "Default Program" if it lists your major or a "Selected Program" if the default is not your current major. Select "Submit New Audit", wait for the grey "Open Audit" button to appear. Be sure to select "Open All Sections" after the report window opens.

How do I access my GPS report (for catalog years 2010 to the present)?

Log into Flashline and select the "Student Tools and Courses" tab. Select "Degree Audit and Plan" under the Graduation Planning System (GPS) list.  Your degree audit will appear. Click "Process new" to be sure all of your information is correct and up-to-date.

Information on how to read the audit

How do I request a transcript?

Access FlashLine and select the "Student Tools & Courses" tab.  In the 'Submit Requests' box, select "Official Academic Transcript".  You may then enter the address(es) of your desired recipients. There is no charge to request a transcript.

See also the Registrar's transcript website

How do I prepare for a long term absence from the University?

If a student is anticipating a long term absence due to health reasons while taking courses, they should contact all of their instructors, provide documentation to each, and assess with their instructors the scenarios of taking an incomplete in a course vs. withdrawing.  The timeline of the semester may impact eligibility for either of these options.   Please read the catalog for entire university policy information regarding course Withdrawals (W) and Incompletes (I).

Students receiving scholarships, and other financial aid should visit with the One Stop for Student Services. Students who live in a residence hall will need to contact Residence Services to notify them.

What do I need to transfer to another university?

Contact the school you hope to attend and follow the procedures/requirements that they have put in place.  The destination institution is your first point of contact.  Students receiving scholarships, and other financial aid should visit with the One Stop for Student Services.  Students who live in a residence hall will need to contact Residence Services to notify them.

How do I request an Incomplete for a class?

A student needs to meet with the course instructor to determine if they qualify for an Incomplete. The process includes the completion of the paper "Incomplete Mark form."  

The administrative mark of IN (Incomplete) may be given to students (undergraduates who are currently passing and graduate students who are currently earning a C or better grade) and are unable to complete the required work between the course withdrawal deadline and the end of classes due to extenuating circumstances. The time line shall be adjusted as appropriate for summer sessions and flexibly scheduled courses. Appropriate documentation is generally required to support the extenuating circumstance. The student must initiate the request for the Incomplete mark from the instructor, and it is the responsibility of the student to arrange to make up the incomplete work. Incomplete grades must be made up within one semester (not including summer sessions) for undergraduate students and one calendar year for graduate students. Instructors are required to complete and submit an Incomplete Mark Form to the department chair at the time grades are assigned. This form includes justification for awarding the Incomplete, describes the work to be completed for the course and specifies the grade to be assigned if the work is not completed (default grade). A copy of the Incomplete Mark Form is provided to the student. Incomplete grades will not be counted in the computation of grade point averages until the work is completed, at which time an appropriate grade will be assigned based on the instructor's evaluation of the work submitted and a new grade point average computed. Unless the course is completed or an extension is granted, Incomplete grades will automatically lapse to the grade designated on the Incomplete Mark Form at the end of one semester for undergraduate students and at the end of one year for graduate students.

I am having an issue with an instructor

We advise students to contact the instructor by phone or email to discuss the issue.  If the student is still concerned after this discussion, please make an appointment to talk to the Department Chair or Program Coordinator in the department.  A student may also consult with the Student  Ombuds, Dr. Jennifer Kulics.  For more information see the Student Ombuds website.  For more detail about the academic complaint process, please see the Policy Register.

Dates & Deadlines

When is the last day to drop or add a class?

Visit the Registrar's website

When is the last day to 'withdraw'?

The tenth week of the semester is typically the deadline period for withdrawal for a full term semester course. If you are registered for a half-semester course then the withdrawal deadline will be different.  We recommend that you contact an academic advisor if you are contemplating withdrawing from a course.

Visit the Registrar's website 

Employment & Internships

How do I find an internship?

Students should consult with a faculty advisor to find out if internship or field placement coursework is available, and about internships that are appropriate for their major.  Many departments have a listing of internships that students have done in the past in the departmental office. 

Career Exploration and Development is also a great resource for students looking for internships and/or jobs.  They manage internship/job listings, host job/internship fairs, and can offer assistance with resume writing and interviewing skills.

What can I do with my major after graduation?

Your faculty advisor (or program coordinator) is a great resource for career and graduate school planning. Career Exploration and Development also offers a lot of great resources for students trying to decide on a major or career.  Career Counselors are available to meet with students by appointment and on a walk in basis (during specific days/times).  More information about career counseling.  Also take a look at the "Student Career Path" tab on FlashLine for assessments and links to many different career related sites. Broad information about different career paths depending on your major.

Majors & Minors

What majors and minors are available?

For list of Arts and Sciences majors, please visit our Majors and Minors page

How do I change my major/ add another major/minor or declare a major/minor?

For the College of Arts and Sciences, you declare a major/minor by accessing your FlashLine account, then go to "Student Tools & Courses "tab and click on the "Undergraduate Change of Program" link in the GPS channel. Select the option relative to your needs. Make sure that after you have declared a major/minor you schedule an advising appointment to review the new requirements with an academic advisor.


When can I register for classes (use Priority Registration)?

Based on the number of credit hours accumulated (earned), use the table found on the Registrar's web site to find your date.

How do I get "special approval" or "permission" to register for a class that requires it?

Contact the department that is offering the class in order to get the approval to register for that particular class.  (The College office cannot grant this permission.)

How do I enroll in class that is closed?

Contact the department that offers the course since departmental policies and procedures may vary.  The College office does not issue permits to students for full (closed) classes.  You may be informed by the department that it is not possible to increase the capacity of the class.  If this is the case, you will need to monitor the course on FlashLine in case another student drops the class and a seat becomes available.  One other option is to choose a different section of the course, or to select an alternative course.

How do I find out what a prerequisite/test score error is when trying to register, and why it is preventing me from adding a class?

If you are receiving this message it is likely that you have not completed the necessary prerequisites for this class.  Consult the Course Descriptions in FlashLine to determine if you have taken the appropriate prerequisites for the course.  If you have, you should contact the department that offers the class – they may issue a permit which will allow you to then add the course.

Can I register for classes at a regional campus, if I am currently attending the Kent campus?

You do not need to apply for admission to the regional campus.  KSU is an eight-campus system; when you register for the next semester's courses, select your intended regional campus, rather than the Kent campus.  You should also contact the Student Service office of the regional campus to find out information about parking, tuition, and financial aid.  If you are currently living in a residence hall on the Kent campus, you should contact Residence Services if you will not be returning in the future.

Can I return to Kent State after I have been away for a few semesters?

If you have not attended another college or university during your time away, contact the One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000 to reactivate your enrollment. If you have attended another institution during your time away, you will need to reapply through Admissions as a transfer student.

Can I register to take more undergraduate courses if I already have a bachelor's degree?

Visit the Admissions web site for more information regarding Post-Undergraduate status.

If you have additional questions not addressed here, please contact the College of Arts and Sciences Undergraduate Advising office at 330-672-2062, 105 Bowman Hall.