Coronavirus FAQs - Student FAQs

This information, which was updated regularly, was a valuable resource for the university community during Spring Semester 2022. As the end of the semester approached and plans were underway for future semesters at Kent State University, this information was sunsetted on April 19, 2022, and is no longer current. Rather it is an archive of previously relevant information.


Academic Calendar: What Can I Expect for Spring 2022?

Spring 2022

Our schedule follows the traditional format, beginning Jan. 18 and ending May 3, with finals week May 5-11.  Spring break will occur from March 28-April 3, 2022. The full calendar can be found here.


Academic Continuity & Technology for Courses: Questions and answers

What is academic continuity?

Academic continuity refers to the continuation of courses (programs, degrees). In the case of an on-campus emergency (weather, pandemic), academic continuity for classes on campus may not be able to be ensured unless other teaching modalities, including remote delivery, are considered.

Where do I access resources related to academic continuity?

The Office of Continuing and Distance Education has developed a set of resources for additional information.

Who do I contact with questions related to academic continuity and instructional support?



  • Information on remote instruction for students, including access instructions and technology resources, is at
  • For technology issues, contact TechHelp by either submitting a support ticket or via Live Chat with support staff. You can also call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 330-672-HELP. 

Technology for Courses: What if I have questions or need support

  • Reach out to your professor quickly if you are experiencing difficulty with technology or course content. If you have issues directly related to your coursework, contact your instructor.
  • Regularly check Blackboard or Canvas for your course because it is the primary platform used to help you stay current in your coursework. Most all of the instructions and tools you will need to complete your course will be housed in Blackboard or Canvas.
    • If your instructor decides to hold live videoconferencing (synchronous) class sessions, these will be held at your scheduled class time. The link to the videoconference room will be posted in Blackboard. Collaborate Ultra or Microsoft Teams will generally be the software used. You should check with your course for instructions on communication from your professor. Please remember that your course is a work-in-progress. You should check-in regularly to view updates. Unless otherwise instructed, Kent State email will be the preferred means of communication
    • Find information on how to use these tools.
  • Additional resources for courses delivered through remote instruction are available on the Keep on Learning website
  • If you have technical problems, contact TechHelp by either submitting a Support Ticket or by talking with our support team via LiveChat at You can also call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week at 330-672-HELP.

Emergency funding for technology-based needs:

  • Kent State understands the financial hardships this pandemic has inflicted on some of our students, and since spring, we have supported thousands of students to address their personal hardships via the Kent State Emergency Grant Fund. We are excited to announce that students can use this emergency funding for technology-based needs, whether to purchase a computer, a hotspot or another technology-based item to help students succeed in the classroom. If you qualify and demonstrate financial need, these emergency funds may be used to purchase the equipment. 
  • The fund is open to degree- or certificate-seeking students currently enrolled in the Fall 2020 Semester who have been affected by the pandemic and have emergency needs. Fall 2020 Semester grant fund applications now include a specific option to choose technology assistance.
Classes for Spring Semester 2022: Questions and answers

Spring 2022


  • We expect our classes and classrooms to be full, with all in-person and online courses offered in their intended format. 
  • Attendance is required. Students who sign up for an in-person class will be expected to attend in person. Faculty members teaching in-person classes are not obliged to offer the course using distance education technologies. However, should a COVID-19 illness, isolation or quarantine arise, instructors will follow university policy and work with any student after a legitimate absence to complete missed assignments. Remember, you are responsible for working with your instructor to make up any missed assignments in a timely manner. If you have a medical need for a semester-long accommodation, please contact Student Accessibility Services.
  • Kent State continues to adhere to the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as interpreted by our local health officials. Following this guidance, face coverings are required by all, regardless of vaccination status, for all indoor settings on all campuses. Instructors for in-person classes may elect to not wear a face covering while teaching if they can maintain a safe distance of at least 6 feet from their students. For up-to-date information on facial covering requirements, please see Facial Covering and Physical Distancing Guidelines.
  • Instructor Illness or Absence: If the instructor for an in-person class is temporarily unable to teach in person (due to exhibiting symptoms, the need to isolate or quarantine or other circumstances in which they would have to temporarily cancel in-person classes), the instructor may choose to make short-term use of distance education technologies such as Microsoft Teams to hold synchronous, online sessions at your usual class time. In such cases, your instructor will notify you and provide a link to the virtual classroom. Except in unusual circumstances, use of online technology to hold synchronous class sessions should not extend beyond five consecutive weekdays.
  • Alternative Instruction: If your instructor is unable to teach in person and chooses not to provide synchronous, online instruction, they may cancel the class session and choose to create an asynchronous assignment using distance education technology such as Canvas. In such cases, your instructor will notify you of the class cancellation and clearly articulate their expectations for the asynchronous assignment. Except in unusual cases, the use of asynchronous, online assignments to replace in-person class sessions will be limited to a single class session.


  • Following the most recent guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as interpreted by our local health officials, face coverings are required in all indoor settings on all Kent State campuses.  For the 2022 Spring Semester, all courses traditionally held in person will be in person at full capacity. 
  • For added safety in the classroom, the university has installed needlepoint bipolar ionization units to enhance air purification and filtration in all our academic buildings. These units will help us to provide an added layer of defense against airborne viruses, as well as mold, odors and other pathogens common in inside spaces.
  • Before coming to class, students should conduct a daily self-check. Do not attend class if you have any symptoms of illness. If you are sick and cannot attend class, contact your instructor to determine how you can make up missed classwork. 
  • While in the classroom, students are required to wear a high-quality face covering. During this omicron surge, good options are a KN95 mask, a surgical mask or a face covering with two or more layers of washable, breathable fabric (preferably 50% cotton/50% polyester) that completely covers your nose and mouth, fits snugly against the sides of your face and has a pliable nose bridge that can seal around the nose. Students in need of new face coverings may find them at these locations on the Kent Campus. On Regional Campuses, check with Student Services.
Course Schedule: Questions and answers

Where do I find my course schedule?

To see your course schedule, log in to your FlashLine account and go to the Student > Resources > Courses and Registration and choose “View or Print Course Schedule and Purchase Textbooks.”

How do I understand my course schedule?

Access a sample schedule with explanations to help you understand how to read your class schedule. The sample schedule will clarify instructional methods, location of class deliveries, course status, special fees and more. If you have any further questions about your schedule, contact your academic advisor for assistance. 

How do I change my schedule?

To change your schedule, log in to your FlashLine account and go to the Student > Resources > Courses and Registration. If you want courses offered only in a remote instruction, select “Remote” in the location drop-down menu. If you need assistance in updating your schedule, please reach out to your academic advisor. New students who attended summer orientation will need to contact their advisor directly for schedule changes.

What should I consider before changing my schedule?

It is important when making any change(s) to your schedule that you ensure that the course(s) you are taking will count toward your program and degree requirements. You can do so by reaching out to your academic advisor to discuss any changes you are considering.  Schedule an appointment with an academic advisor.

Is scheduling help available?

  • If you are a current undergraduate student who has registered for the 2021 Fall Semester and would like assistance with identifying a schedule that best meets your class format (in-person, remote, hybrid) needs or classes on different Kent State campuses, please contact your academic adviser or fill out this form. The completed form will be sent to an academic adviser who will contact you within one to two business days using the phone number you’ve provided. Our goal is to help you find the same or alternative courses in the format you prefer, to help keep you on your path to graduation. 
  • If you are an incoming student, you will work with an adviser during Destination Kent State (DKS) new student orientation to register. 
  • If you are a graduate student, please contact your program coordinator. 


Housing & Dining

Dining Hall: Questions and Answers


Do I need to wear a face covering in dining halls?

We expect students to be aware of Kent State's requirements and guidelines, which includes information on facial covering requirements and guidelines.

What cleaning protocols are in place in the dining locations?

While the university has always placed a priority on the cleaning of public spaces, including dining locations, maintaining a safe environment begins with our cleaning and sanitation process. 

There is an emphasis on repeated cleaning of high-touch areas, such as door handles, tables, trays and other materials that are used frequently. Surfaces are regularly sanitized with approved chemicals.

  • The university is providing ample hand sanitizer stations throughout dining facilities. In addition, self-service sanitizing stations are stocked with supplies to provide students the opportunity to ensure personal spaces and surfaces are sanitized before using facilities in the dining facilities.
  • Standardized university signage has been installed throughout the dining locations that helps guide and direct students to ensure physical distancing standards are being followed.

What if I have more questions about meal plans or Eating on campus?

If you have any other questions about meal plans or eating on campus, you can contact Culinary Services by calling 330-672-2541.

Housing: Questions and Answers

Important Dates and Planning Tips

WHEN IS Spring 2022 MOVE-IN?

For move-in instructions, access this move-in link

How do I apply for on-campus housing?

Learn more about living on-campus! Ready to sign up? If so, sign in here to apply for housing.

Health and Safety Measures

will testing be required?

All residence hall students must submit proof that they have been fully vaccinated or have tested positive for COVID-19 within the previous 90 days. 

Do I need to wear a Face covering in my room?

Your room is considered your space, so if it is just you and your roommate in the space, you are not expected to wear a face covering while you are in your room. 

For up-to-date information on facial covering requirements, please see Facial Covering and Physical Distancing Guidelines.

Do I need to wear a Face covering in my residence hall?

Students are expected to follow and be aware of Kent State's requirements and guidelines, which includes information on facial covering requirements and guidelines.

For up-to-date information on facial covering requirements, please see Facial Covering and Physical Distancing Guidelines.

Can students have guests in their residence hall room? Can parents visit campus?

Students can have guests – including their parents – visit them on campus this year! When visiting inside the residence halls, it is important to be aware of the room capacity policy. To help ensure plenty of space for visiting, we encourage students to use the lounges, multipurpose spaces and dining halls to allow more room for physical distancing.

More information about residence hall policies can be found in the Hallways Handbook. Also, read more about visitors on campus.

What happens if someone living in the residence halls is confirmed or probable as being sick with COVID-19?

On-campus students who are confirmed or probable with COVID-19 will be required to self-isolate. Locations for self-isolation include a temporary relocation to a separate residence hall on campus or the student’s permanent address. University Health Services will work closely with the Kent City Health Department through this process and decide the appropriate location for each student’s situation. If a student remains on campus, University Housing and Culinary Services will ensure that students have all the essential housing and food needs met during the self-isolation time period.  

Learn more about the university's COVID Response Team, occurrences, reporting and testing

Housing Assignments

What is the plan for housing assignments?

Students will be assigned to single or double occupancy rooms only. 

Are single rooms available in campus housing?

Yes, we have single rooms throughout campus! Students are assigned to single- or double-occupancy rooms. Single rooms are limited and are assigned based upon your housing application date. 

What residence halls will be occupied?

All residence halls will be in use except Centennial Court E, Centennial Court F, and Verder. Students living on-campus this fall will be assigned to single or double occupancy rooms only.


Will my financial aid be impacted if I do not live on campus?

Living on campus or in an off-campus residence separate from your parent does not impact federal and state financial aid, which includes grants and student loans. Residing with your parent may change your financial aid offer. In addition, if you have a housing specific scholarship and have questions about eligibility, please contact One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000 or via the Contact Us form on its website – – to submit your question.

Staying Healthy on Campus

Accountability for Conforming to Flashes Safe Eight: Question and answers

The COVID-19 pandemic has presented numerous challenges, and we have met each one head-on while planning for future hurdles. Keeping Kent State University safe and healthy is reliant on a cooperative effort from all of us. We are thankful to those who have already made a faithful habit of following the Flashes Safe Eight and practicing the behaviors that will ensure that we all get to remain on campuses for the entire semester.

To practice, support and sustain accountability, please refer to the Flashes Safe Eight Accountability webpage to find a listing of relevant policies, requirements and ways to share concerns. 

COVID-19 Occurrences, Reporting and Testing: What do you need to know?
Face Coverings: General Questions and Answers

How do I know which Kent State campuses require face coverings based on community levels of COVID-19?

Please refer to the county status on tab one of this web page to determine whether you need to wear a face covering on specific Kent State campuses when indoors with others.

You could also choose to rely on the headlines on the coronavirus home page to see the most recent emails with updated campus and county community health level alerts and statuses, which impact face-covering requirements.

For those individuals who may have to wear face coverings due to community levels of COVID and or those who choose to continue wearing a face covering, below are some best practices and tips.

How often should cloth face coverings be washed? and how?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommends that cloth face coverings be washed after each use.

If that isn't possible, reusable cloth masks should be washed as soon as they become dirty or at least once per week. Always wash your hands after handling or touching a used mask. Reusable face masks can be washed along with your regular laundry, using regular detergent and settings appropriate for the fabric. Dry the mask completely in a warm or hot dryer. Hand-washing is also appropriate with detergent and water. Masks should be thoroughly rinsed and dried completely prior to reuse. N95 and KN95 respirators should not be washed (water destroys the electrostatic charge that captures viruses). If dirty or potentially contaminated, they should be placed in the trash. 

Can paper face masks be worn more than once?

Disposable face masks should be thrown away after a single use.

Take caution when removing a face covering. Follow these steps:

1. Always remove face coverings correctly. To do so:

  • Untie the strings behind your head or stretch the ear loops.
  • Handle only by the ear loops or ties.
  • Fold outside corners together.
  • Place covering in the washing machine (learn more about how to wash cloth face coverings).
  • Be careful not to touch your eyes, nose and mouth when removing and wash hands immediately after removing.

2. Wash your hands after handling or touching a used face covering.

What should I use to cover my face during the COVID pandemic, a face covering or a face shield?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends three styles of face coverings for protection from the virus causing COVID-19:

  • Cloth face masks of at least 2-ply, tightly woven, breathable fabrics (the fabric should block light when held up to bright light source)
  • 3-ply medical-grade, surgical/procedure masks
  • N95/KN95 respirators

Face coverings should completely cover your nose and mouth, fit snugly against the sides of your face and have a pliable nose bridge that can seal around the nose. Reasonable accommodations will be provided to anyone who cannot wear a face covering.  KN95 and medical-grade masks can be picked up at the at-home rapid test site distribution locations across the Kent and Regional Campuses.

Acceptable alternatives are available, including transparent face coverings and face shields. Be advised that for a face shield to be protective against transmitting the virus, it must wrap around to the ears and down past the chin where an obstructive modification is used to prevent virus from being exhaled out below the shield. Per the CDC, bandanas are not suitable face coverings as they are too thin and too loose to provide the needed protection. When selecting a face covering and verifying best practices for how to wear a face covering, please see this CDC web page

Traditional, transparent face shields are used in conjunction with a cloth face covering, surgical mask or N95 filter respirator. This face shield is used primarily by first responders and medical personnel, as the shield serves to block virus and debris from clogging the face covering and limiting its usefulness when used in areas of high virus load (hospitals, ambulances, etc.). It wraps around the face to the ear and down the face to approximately chin level. 

One non-traditional face shield is available from Pam Fitzgerald (for faculty and staff) or Amanda Feaster (for students) for those who cannot wear something that directly covers the nose and mouth. Find their contact information in the university's online phone directory. This shield wraps farther around the face, almost covering the ears and past the chin. Importantly, it has a chin shelf that folds up to prevent exhaled virus from escaping from behind the shield. 

Access to N95/KN95 Masks and other types

We know there have been times when these have been hard to find. The university has provided KN95 and medical-grade masks at the rapid test distribution sites on the Kent Campus and the Regional Campuses. All units have access to ordering and maintaining a supply of KN95 and medical-grade masks at all campuses. This information has been communicated. Students in the residence halls have been supplied with KN95 masks at the start of the semester. All students have received email communication on the best types and locations of masks, and this information is on the website. 

Kent State will be providing face coverings to students and employees who attend large events on campus. Faculty and staff will have face coverings available within their unit/department. All units/departments on campus can order additional supplies and face coverings through Flash Track.

If you are seeking these items from other locations, keep these tips in mind:

  • The 3-ply medical-grade masks should be obtained from a reliable source and be marked as ASTM Level 3 masks. This designation typically is found on the box or bag of masks, not on the mask itself. The ASTM certification indicates that the mask complies with standards of fluid resistance, particle filtration and breathability for infection control. 
  • N95 and KN95 respirators should likewise be obtained from a reliable source and be marked according to the standards used in production for the country ordering them. N95 is the designation used by U.S. regulators, and its manufacturer standards are encoded in the Code of Federal Regulations. KN95 is the designation used by several countries and meets an international standard, similar to the N95 standard. (Unfortunately, counterfeit KN95 respirators have flooded the market.) N95 and KN95 respirators should be stamped with the country manufacture standard reference. For example, KN95s supplied to campus earlier are stamped as 3M 9501+, indicating that 3M made these KN95s according to the specifications of Australia and New Zealand, and stamped as GB-2626-2019, indicating that they also comply with the standards set by China. Importantly, respirators manufactured by current NIOSH-approval holders, who also produce respirators under standards authorized in other countries, are expected to provide the protection indicated. NIOSH is the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health. 
  • U.S.-certified N95 respirators are being reserved for medical staff who are in the trenches with COVID-19, and potential COVID-19 patients, per CDC guidance, to ensure availability for healthcare use. Kent State has ordered KN95 respirators and medical-grade surgical masks that can be requested by any department or campus through Flash Track. Additionally, KN95 respirators and surgical masks have been placed at various distribution points around the Kent Campus. 

What about KF94s? 

The KF94 (KF stands for “Korean filter,” and the 94 means it filters 94% of particles) is a high-quality mask that folds flat and is made in Korea. Its efficacy is similar to the N95 and KN95. It is designed specifically for the consumer market. Unfortunately, counterfeit KF94 respirators have been identified globally, making purchases from a reputable distributor essential for safety.

Storing masks and respirators

If your mask is wet (from exhaled moisture), is dirty (from sweat, makeup or other substances) or has been exposed to a known source of COVID-19 (being within 6 feet of a positive case for more than 15 minutes), carefully remove it by the ear loops or head straps (not the front of the mask) and store it in a plastic bag until it can be washed. Wash as soon as possible to prevent it from getting moldy. 

If your N95 or KN95 respirator is wet (from exhaled moisture), it should be put into a paper bag and left to air dry for at least 72 hours before reuse. If the respirator is dirty (from sweat, makeup or other substances) or it has been exposed to a known source of COVID-19 (being within 6 feet of a positive case for more than 15 minutes), carefully remove it by the ear loops or head straps (not the front of the respirator) and discard it in the trash. 



HVAC: Kent State's Commitment to Air Quality & Circulation


  • In response to COVID-19, the university is following recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) as they relate to the effects of heating, ventilation and air-conditioning systems on disease transmission in the workplace.   
    • Per the CDC, organizations must “Ensure ventilation systems operate properly and increase circulation of outdoor air.”  ASHRAE further notes, “principles of social distancing (1 to 2 m or 3 to 6.5 ft), surface cleaning and disinfection, hand-washing and other strategies of good hygiene are far more important than anything related to the HVAC system.” In addition, ASHRAE supports improved filtration and increased ventilation with outdoor air where reasonable as measures to reduce the risk of transmission of an airborne virus.
  • While the primary focus should be on social distancing and personal hygiene, Kent State University is proceeding with increasing the amount of outdoor air brought into buildings where sensible, which will have a beneficial effect on indoor air quality (IAQ) during the pandemic. 
  • In addition, HVAC systems will also be run in normal occupancy mode each day for a minimum of two hours after the last building activity to further dilute indoor spaces with outdoor air. 
  • The type of air filters currently installed varies based on age and type of air handling unit (AHU). Currently KSU utilizes air filters with a rating range of MERV 8 to MERV 12. MERV values mean: Minimum Efficiency Reporting Value. Using a MERV 13 or greater filter media, which is considered a high-ranking air filter, would reduce the particle size that is able to pass through the AHU and back to the space. Larger virus particles could be captured by the enhanced media filter. Due to catching finer particles, using a MERV 13 or greater rated filter would require more frequent replacement and the increased cost does not support their minimal advantage. Existing AHU fans also cannot overcome the increased pressure from higher MERV filters. Our filters are typically replaced quarterly unless more outside air and excessive pressure mandates more frequent replacement. As noted above, one recommended method to combat pollution is dilution, or increasing outside air when practical. Any changes to the filters, filter banks, filter changing frequency or operating parameters will greatly increase our operating cost, with questionable impact on the spread of COVID-19.
  • Buildings have been adjusted for proper occupied temperature and airflow to maximize safety and system performance during our response to COVID-19.
  • Another HVAC technology KSU is using in  dining facilities, athletic facilities, , select residence halls, in elevator cabs and all instructional spaces is needlepoint bipolar ionization (NPBI).  The devices are installed in select main air handling units, small room HVAC units, in portable rolling fan units, and in elevator cabs of five stops or more and select others such as the DeWeese Health Center elevator.  The devices discharge low-power positive and negative ions which are then distributed by the fans into the rooms. The ions do not produce ozone and do not adversely affect indoor air quality. This technology has been proven to inactivate up to 99.4% of the SARS-CoV-2 virus (current COVID-19) virus after 30 minutes of exposure. This is NOT in place of the Flashes Safety Principles, but is another tool being used to reduce the spread of COVID-19. This technology is being installed at the Cleveland Clinic and many other institutions. Learn more at: .
  • All HVAC concerns for a facility should be brought to the attention of the Building Curator and entered in Flash Track to be addressed by University Facilities Management (UFM).  For questions about Regional Campuses and the College of Podiatric Medicine please contact your facility managers.
Mental Health Services for Students: What is available?
University Health Services: How can students access medical and mental health services and hotlines?

COVID Response Team

This university's COVID Response Team will be responsible for managing COVID-19 related information that includes but is not limited to: voluntary self-reporting of COVID-19 status by students, staff, and faculty, confirmed cases at DeWeese Health Center and inquiries related to COVID-19 related topics such as: self-isolation, quarantine and travel. It is led by the Kent State’s chief university physician and its members include a coordinator, nurses and public health staff, employed by University Health Services.

Access the COVID Response Team webpage  Find out about COVID-19 Testing Options

Medical Services (includes Pharmacy)

  • Hours: Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Call: 330-672-2322 OR THE 24 HOUR NURSE LINE: 330-672-2326
  • We are open for in-person services
  • Telemedicine Visits
  • Prescription Refills
  • Nurse Triage
  • Answer COVID-19 questions
  • After Hours: 24-hour nurse line: 330-672-2326

Counseling and Psychological Services

  • Hours:
    • Call the main desk 330-672-2487, Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
    • After-hours crisis support, nights and weekends: 330-672-2487
  • Counseling and Psychological Services will provide:
    • Services provided include: counseling, crisis intervention, consultation and support groups
  • Please call the office at 330-672-2487 for information or services.

Mental Health and Counseling Services 

Ashtabula Campus

24-hour hotline: 440-964-4288

Johanna Slivinske, MSW, LISW-S
Counseling Specialist
Counseling Services
L 207, 2nd floor of the Library

College of Podiatric Medicine (Cleveland)

24-hour hotline: 216-707-8022

Theresa Novak, M.Ed., LPCC-S
Clinical Counselor
Counseling & Wellness Services
4th Floor

East Liverpool Campus

24-hour hotline: 330-382-7444

Brenda McIntosh, M.Ed., LPCC
Counseling Specialist
Counseling & Wellness Services
212 G

Geauga Campus

24-hour hotline: 440-834-3766

Valerie Rutherford, MSW, LISW-S
Counseling Specialist
Counseling Services
Library Office 120C

Twinsburg Academic Center (Twinsburg)

24-hour hotline: 440-834-3766

Sue Mark-Sracic, M.Ed., LPCC, LSW
102P Student Services Department

Kent Campus

24-hour hotline: 330-672-2326

Dr. Pamela Farer-Singleton, Ph.D.
Chief Psychologist
Psychological Services
2nd Floor of the DeWeese Health Center

Dr. Jason Miller, Ph.D., LPCC-S
Clinical Director
The Counseling Center
325 White Hall

Dr. Alanna Updegraff, Ph.D.
Psychological Clinic
Rm 176 Kent Hall

Dr. John Gunstad, Ph. D.
Department of Athletics & Psychology Professor

Salem Campus

24-hour hotline: 330-382-7444

Kristy Martell, M.S.Ed, LPCC-S
Counseling Specialist
Counseling & Wellness Services
Faculty Offices, 104 B – Salem

Stark Campus

24-hour hotline: 330-244-5188

Emily Ribnik, M.Ed., LPCC-S
Clinical Mental Health Counselor
Counseling Services
Lower Level – Campus Center

Kelsey Kalgreen, M.A., LPCC-S
Clinical Mental Health Counselor

Trumbull Campus

24-hour hotline: 330-675-7677

Barb Ozimek, M.A., LPCC-S
Counseling Specialist
Counseling Services
131 B Student Services Building

Tuscarawas Campus

24-hour hotline: 330-308-6414

Jennifer Benline with Personal & Family Counseling Services
106B Science & Advanced Technology Building

Laurie Donley
Director, Enrollment Management & Student Services
*For assistance, referrals or student concerns

Vaccine Status and Vaccines: Questions and Answers

Can instructors or supervisors ask to see proof of vaccination? 


What are the university's vaccine requirements?

Find information about Kent State's vaccine requirements for students, faculty and staff.

Where can I find vaccine FAQs?

Find helpful information about vaccines, ranging from CCP students' requirements and study-abroad implications, to health concerns, to logistics around getting a vaccine on our Vaccine FAQs page.



General Life on Campus

Campus Experience and Activities On Campus: What Is Permitted?


We are excited to welcome you to the Kent State family! We know you will find a vibrant environment with many opportunities to meet fellow Flashes, engage with faculty and experience campus life. 


Please follow the Golden Flashes by visiting

EVENTS AND STUDENT ACTIVITIES - Will indoor and in-person events and activities be permitted during the semester?

Yes, in-person events will take place in accordance with Kent State’s event procedures and policies, state and local guidelines and the Flashes Safe Eight. Check the Event Calendar for schedules. All university events and activities must be scheduled and approved through University Events and Conference Services.

First-year experience

All new first-year students take the Destination Kent State First-Year Experience course during their first semester, which is designed to help students make a successful transition to Kent State. Students have the option of taking this course either face to face or remotely.

Student Organizations

Throughout the year, you’ll be able to participate in student organizations, fraternities and sororities, and other campus activities, both in person and virtually. Learn more about our student organizations and start connecting on KSU Engage. Campus programming through the Flash Activities Board plans to host a full calendar of events through various mediums, starting with KSU Kickoff. 

Recreational opportunities

Student Multicultural Center

The Student Multicultural Center continues to host Kupita/Transiciones, an unforgettable, free program that includes a cultural orientation, a transition experience and a yearlong mentoring program for newly admitted and transfer African American, Latinx, Hispanic, Native American and multiracial students.  This program ensures that you are informed of support services and programs and can engage in opportunities to get involved. Through Kupita/Transiciones, you develop a community comprised of fellow students, faculty and staff with similar backgrounds and experiences. If you have questions about support for underrepresented students, contact the Student Multicultural Center via email at or by phone at 330-672-3560. 


International Students: Questions and Answers

Contacting ISSS & Making Phone Appointments

The ISSS team is continuing to monitor all emails and respond accordingly. If you are interested in asking questions or making an appointment, please review the ISSS Office and Advising Hours page. General information often may be found on the ISSS Guides and Forms page.

Contacting International Admissions

International Admissions is expanding our remote advising to continue to serve our current and prospective students. For up-to-date information about our in-person and virtual advising options, please check the International Admissions advising schedule. If you would need to meet in person to submit your document, please email to make an appointment ahead of time.  

Will I need to take in-person courses? 

The Department of Homeland Security has extended the guidance. Accordingly, the in-person course requirements are different for continuing students and for new students. Please see the Enrollment Updates and FAQ page.


If you returned home and will return to Kent for the upcoming semester, you need a valid travel signature on your Form I-20 or DS-2019. All travel signatures are valid for one year unless you are currently on Optional Practical Training (OPT), in which case your travel signature is valid for six months. Please notify ISSS (and request a travel signature if needed) through the Travel Plans Form. Electronically signed I-20s will be emailed to F-1 students who need an updated travel signature. J-1 students will require a DS-2019 with a physical signature; instructions for arranging mailing of the DS-2019 are included in the Travel Plans Form.

Any travel out of state and beyond must be reported to the COVID Response Team prior to departure. The COVID Response Team can be reached at 330-672-2525.

For spring semester 2022,  international students/travelers arriving on campus are expected to contact the COVID Response Team for instruction specific to their arrival to Kent State and follow the CDC guidelines. Please note that vaccination and entry requirements change frequently and international students/travelers are expected to monitor the CDC website for the most current information. Students should also wear a face covering and follow the Flashes Safety Protocols during travel.

Graduating Students

If you will remain outside the United States for spring semester, you can contact the Registrar's Office to have your diploma mailed to you in your home country. If you have questions about diplomas, the website for the Registrar's Office. Students who are graduating at the end of Spring 2022 will need to be physically present in the United States in order to apply for post-completion Optional Practical Training. We understand that you have many questions, and we assure you that we will be here to answer them. Please see the ISSS Office and Advising Hours page for more information on how to contact ISSS directly.


Student Services: What will be available this semester?

Tuition, Financial Aid and Scholarships

Financial Aid and Emergency Grant Fund: How can a student receive financial help?

Financial Challenges

We are committed to making college affordable for you and your families. If you are experiencing financial challenges, there is help available.  Please reach out to Student Financial Aid or the One Stop for Student Services at 330-672-6000. More information about these resources can be found on the Office of the Dean of Students’ COVID-19 Emergency Resources page.

Kent State Emergency Grant Fund

Kent State understands the financial hardships this pandemic has inflicted on some of our students, and since spring, we have supported thousands of students to address their personal hardships via the Kent State Emergency Grant Fund. The fund is open to degree- or certificate-seeking students currently enrolled in the Spring 2021 Semester who have been affected by the pandemic and have emergency needs. More information can be found on the Office of the Dean of Students’ COVID-19 Emergency Resource website.

Access more financial aid FAQs

Scholarships: Questions and answers
Tuition Rates for This Academic Year: What are they?

View the FAQ Archive