Flashes Go Further Scholarship Program
The Flashes Go Further Scholarship is a one-of-a-kind program covering more costs to help students attend Kent State University tuition free.
The Flashes Go Further Scholarship Program is based on Kent State’s mission to transform lives and communities through the power of discovery, learning and creative expression and the university’s commitment to access and completion.
“This program is a testament to our deep commitment to access and completion for all,” President Todd Diacon noted. “We are consistently recognized nationally for our success in graduating more students. Our graduation rate is already the highest in northern Ohio and the third highest in the state, but we won’t rest until all students we enroll graduate and succeed in their first jobs after college.”
Who is Eligible?
- Admitted and continuing students with a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and pursuing their first bachelor’s degree attending full-time at the Kent Campus.
- Student must establish financial aid eligibility annually for initial and continued awarding through completion of the FAFSA.
- U.S. Citizens or permanent residents.
- Must be classified as an Ohio resident for tuition.
- Males age 18-24 must register with Selective Service to be eligible for In-State tuition rates.
- Enrolled in a bachelor’s degree granting program.
- The Exploratory major and pre-majors for a bachelor's degree are eligible.
- Must be working toward first bachelor’s degree. Post-undergraduates are not eligible.
- Enrolled full-time at the Kent Campus (minimum of 12 credit hours designated as Kent Campus courses) each semester.
- Must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) for the current academic year and have a total family income of $75,000* or less.
- *Students with family income of $75,001-$100,000 may still qualify for a reduced amount no higher than $2000 if eligibility criteria are met.
- Students must submit all requested financial aid documents to the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and the FAFSA must be free of all holds and processing issues (see financial aid status).
- If a student feels the income reported on the FAFSA is no longer accurate, the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid has a Special Circumstances process in place to review changes in household income, divorce, death of a parent, etc. For more information, student may contact the One Stop for Student Services.
- Student must meet the standards of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.
How to Apply
- Enroll full-time at the Kent Campus (minimum of 12 credit hours designated as Kent Campus courses).
- Submit the FAFSA for the current academic year to establish annual eligibility.
- No separate scholarship application is required.
- All students will be screened for eligibility automatically.
- Eligible students will be notified via their Kent State email address.
How Scholarship Amount is Determined
- The Flashes Go Further Scholarship covers the difference between Instructional Tuition Fees + General Tuition Fees and other grants and tuition-specific scholarships.
- If eligibility is reduced to an amount between $1-$199 based on the aforementioned calculation, the student will receive a $200 minimum award.
- NOTE: If total of grants and tuition-specific awards exceed tuition fee charges, student will not be eligible for a Flashes Go Further Scholarship.
- Award may be reduced or canceled if the student changes their schedule, drops or withdraws from a course, or their tuition charges change for any other reason.
Sample Scholarship Calculation: One Semester
Instructional Tuition Fee
+ General Tuition Fee
= Total Allowable Fees
- Federal Grants and Scholarships
- State Grants and Scholarships
- Kent State University Tuition Fee Waivers
- Kent State University Tuition-Specific Scholarships
- Kent State University Tuition-Specific Grants
- Tuition-specific Veteran's benefits if it covers 100% of tuition
- External grants, scholarships and any other awards from an outside source that are tuition-specific (must be designated by the donor)
= Flashes Go Further Scholarship Award Amount
The Flashes Go Further Scholarship cannot be applied to:
- Meal plans
- Career Services Fee
- Program fees
- Special Course fees
- Distance learning course fees
- Legal Services Fee
- Flight fees
- Lab fees
- Book fees
- Study Abroad fees
How the Award is Released to Students
- If awarded, the Flashes Go Further Scholarship will be applied directly to the student’s account.
Scholarship Renewal Criteria
- Students may be eligible for a maximum of 8 semesters, or 4 academic years, of the Flashes Go Further Scholarship.
- Students must maintain enrollment and financial criteria annually to remain eligible for renewal.
- The award is available only for the fall and spring semesters, but students will be permitted to request 1 of their semesters of eligibility during a summer term.
- Student must file the FAFSA every academic year and complete any requests for additional information from the University Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to establish annual eligibility.
- The student’s family income must be less than $75,000* as reported on each year's FAFSA.
- *Students with family income between 75,001 and $100,000 may qualify for a reduced amount not to exceed $2000 depending on other gift aid and scholarships.
- Student must enroll in a minimum of 12 Kent Campus credit hours each semester.
- Student must meet the Financial Aid Standards of Academic Progress every semester.
For questions about this program, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.