Kent State offers a variety of retirement plans. Employees at Kent State are required to participate in one of the state retirement systems - Ohio Public Employees Retirement System (OPERS) or the State Teachers Retirement System of Ohio (STRS) or you may elect to enroll in an Alternative Retirement Plan (ARP) instead of the state retirement system. This election must be made within the first 120 days of employment in a full-time position and the election is irrevocable.

There are two supplemental retirement plans available to Kent State employees on a pre-tax or after-tax basis: a 403(b) or a 457(b) account. These two plans allow you to make contributions by convenient payroll deduction and save that money for your retirement.

The 403(b) and the 457(b) plans were created to encourage long-term savings. Distributions are available when you reach age 59-and-a-half; distributions are mandated at 70-and-a-half years of age. As you consider these opportunities, you may wish to talk with your financial advisor about distribution opportunities when you leave employment.

NOTE: University employees do not contribute to the federal social security system and all retirement benefits related to their employment come from the state retirement system(s).

To learn more about these retirement options, select from the links below: