FOREIGN LANGUAGE ACADEMY
2019 Regents STARTALK Foreign Language Academy
- Before you start on the application, read the Program Description first.
- After you have read the Program Description, download and complete the following forms:
- Return completed forms in hard copy as directed no later than April 15th. Application materials postmarked after this date, will not be considered
Successful applicants will be notified by May 1st.
If you have additional questions, contact FLA director Dr. Brian Baer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
No teacher academy is planned for 2019. Information about the 2016 teacher academy is below.
July 7-16, 2016
The 2016 STARTALK Teacher Leadership Academy for K-12 teachers of Chinese and Russian is designed to expose participating teachers to a variety of technologies to facilitate twenty-first century learning.
The Teacher Leadership Academy offers participating teachers the following benefits at no cost to the individual:
- Three graduate-level credit hours from Kent State University
- Use of a laptop with all relevant foreign language software for the duration of Teacher Academy
- Room and board for the duration of the Teacher Academy
- Opportunity to observe and participate in the 2016 Regents STARTALK Foreign Language Academy, a summer immersion program for local high school students
The Academy recognizes that in addition to the issues faced by all foreign language teachers, teachers of critical languages share some unique challenges, such as non-Roman scripts and longer time to proficiency. Moreover, many teachers of critical languages work part-time in more than one school and with administrators and colleagues who have little experience with critical languages, and may feel isolated as a result. Therefore, the Academy seeks to provide participating teachers with a supportive learning community composed of their fellow teachers of Chinese and Russian. The 2016 Academy builds on the foundation of the successful 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015 Kent State STARTALK Teacher Leadership Academies.
If you have trouble with compatibility of the Word file, you can also access a non-fillable .pdf version of the Teacher Academy Application here.
Applications for the 2016 Teacher Leadership Academy are due by April 15, 2016. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until all spots are filled.
Teachers will be notified of their acceptance no later than (date to be announced).