Xi'an Summer Institute
Expand your horizons through the four-week Kent State Xi'an Summer Institute. This program features a unique combination of KSU and host university courses, cultural immersion, and a multidisciplinary perspective that will benefit students from many majors!
Studying abroad is a truly transformative experience and one that equips students to become more independent, improves their leadership skills, and expands their worldview. Kent State Xi'an Summer Institute opens the door for students to experience this type of holistic personal growth.
EXPERIENCE CULTURAL IMMERSION
You'll spend your time living and studying in one of the most beautiful land historic cities in China. Plus, given Xi'an's central location, you can use your weekends to explore popular cities and cultural landmarks all across the province of Shaanxi. Enjoy your time partaking in the food, festivals, and fun of a diverse culture, people, and national identity.
BUILD YOUR GLOBAL AWARENESS
Being exposed to diverse ways of life and facing challenges of cross-cultural communication are essential to becoming a true global citizen. As a student in the Xi'an Summer Institute, you will become a member of the international community -taking classes, participating in extracurricular cultural activities, and making new friends with people from all around the world.
Students are required to enroll in 7 credit hours. All credits are transferable to Kent State University
All students are required to choose two classes:
- Contemporary China and the World - 3 credit hours
- Introduction to Chinese Economy - 3 credit hours
- Business Administration in China - 3 credit hours
- Cross-Culture Studies: A China Perspective - 3 credit hours
- Essentials of Chinese legal System - 3 credit hours
- Education in China - 3 credit hours
- Interpretation of Chinese Culture - 3 credit hours
- Topical Studies of Chinese History - 3 credit hours
- Cultural Heritage Studies in China - 3 credit hours
All students are required to take the following class:
- Studying Chinese Culture Through Field Trips - 1.0 credit hour
Situated near the center of the ancient Xi’an capital, the XISU campus features convenient access to an array of cultural venues, traditional cuisine, and modern entertainment. Local XISU faculty and staff serve as a source of constant support and cultural engagement, providing a truly immersive experience.
Students will reside in the Xi'an International Studies University (XISU) Hotel. The XISU hotel offers students standard, shared rooms in a quality hotel facility nearby the heart of the XISU campus.
Similar to our other Summer Institute programs, students will have the option of joining a group flight or arranging their airfare independently. For students on the group flight, participants will provide information regarding their preferred airport of departure and return, and their flight arrangements will be booked by one of Kent State University's approved travel agencies. Students electing to fly independently will receive detailed instructions close to the time of departure.
Financial Aid and Scholarship
- Scholarships are available through the Office of Global Education: Learn more here
- For most students, it is possible to use summer federal financial aid. We recommend emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on this and other external scholarship and funding resources.
Estimated Program Fees based on the 2022 academic year
The cost for your participation in the Xi'an Summer institute will include the following items.
|KSU Equivalent Tuition||$2,400||Xi'an International Studies University Tuition|
|Program Fee||$1,400||Includes KSU+XISU Adm. fees, local transportation,field trips, etc|
|International Health Insurance||$65|
|TOTAL||$ 5,305||*Estimated Totals do not include airfare|
- Full-time degree-seeking student
- 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Earned a minimum of 12.0 credit hours
- Apply through the Kent State online application system. You will login with your FlashLine credentials.