Environmental Compliance

Spill Prevention Control and Countermeasure Plan (SPCC)

A SPCC Plan is required when a facility such as Kent State University has over 42,000 gallons of buried oil storage (some underground storage tanks are exempt) and/or 1,320 of above ground storage. A SPCC Plan requires that all containers that contain greater than or equal to 55 gallons of oil must have secondary containment if that container has the potential, if leaking, to pollute surface or ground water. All oils are included in this plan including petroleum (diesel fuel, gasoline, motor oil) and cooking oil.

Learn more information on the EPA website

Storm Water

As part of the Clean Water Act, Kent State University has partnered with The City of Kent and prepared a Storm Water Management Plan. There are many aspects of the plan, but its purpose is to reduce pollution caused by runoff in urbanized settings via storm water systems. These systems convey water directly to streams and rivers without treatment. A key component of the plan is public outreach and education. Articles relating to “Disposal of Hazardous Household Chemicals" and Pet Waste Management will appear in the e-Inside. Their purpose is to educate the general public so as to reduce pollution and improve the environment.

If you have any storm water related concerns or wish to report illicit discharge activities, please call 330-672-1950 or email dbaden@kent.edu.

Air Compliance Title V Program

The Title V Program originated out of the 1990 Clean Air Act. A Title V permit serves as a guide for Kent State University to control its emission sources around campus. Emission sources such as the Power Plant, Painting, and Laboratory Hoods are all covered under the Title V Permitting Program. Kent State University is committed to improving the air quality around Northeast Ohio. As an example, Kent State University operates a state of the art co-generation facility. It has the capacity to generate electricity and then use the excess heat from this process to create steam which is then used for heating and cooling.

Additional Information

For more information on any of these programs, please contact Dennis Baden at (330) 672-1950 or dbaden@kent.edu.