Get Ready to Join Your Golden Flash Family at KSU Kickoff!
All new 2023 incoming students are invited to KSU Kickoff. (This includes transfer students and students with commuter status) During this one-of-a-kind welcome celebration, you will engage in various activities and events that will help you become more familiar with the Kent State University community, faculty and staff, make new friends and prepare to start off the fall 2023 semester. Some events are required to ensure that you start the semester successfully, while other events are optional based on your interests and needs.
KSU Kickoff runs from Thursday, Aug. 17, until Sunday, Aug. 20.. During KSU Kickoff 2023, students can expect to participate in a safe and engaging experience.
Information Regarding Required Events
The following events are required for all new incoming students: (this includes first-year and transfer students with residential or commuter status)
- KSU Kickoff Check-In | Thursday, Aug. 17, 3 - 8 p.m.
- Dean's Welcome | Friday, Aug. 18, 9:30 - 10 a.m. | Dean's Welcome Locations
- Convocation | Friday, Aug. 18, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m.
- Class of 2027 Group Photo | Friday, Aug. 18, 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
- First-Year Student Lunch | Friday, Aug. 18, 12:30 - 1:30 p.m.
- Common Conversations meeting with Flashes 101 Class | Friday, Aug. 18 | Locations and times vary based on your college and will be provided during KSU Kickoff Check-in.
- Students will participate in the Common Conversations shared experience during this time.
- Transfer students not registered for Flashes 101 are not required to attend but will be invited to an optional section.
- 1:30 - 3 p.m. - College of Arts and Sciences, College of Public Health, College of Architecture and Environmental Design, College of Nursing, CommUNITY Lab, Ambassador Crawford College of Business and Entrepreneurship (virtual section in group 2), College of Aeronautics and Engineering (in various general sections), General Sections (refer to the Common Conversations Room Locator)
- 3:30 - 5 p.m. - College of Education, Health, and Human Services, College of the Arts, College of Communication and Information, University College (Exploratory), College of Animation Game Design (2 virtual sections), College of Aeronautics and Engineering (in various general sections), General Sections (refer to the Common Conversations Room Locator)
- This is Kent State! | Sunday, Aug. 20, 4:30 - 5:30 p.m.
- Blastoff! | Sunday, Aug. 20, 5:30 - 8 p.m. | This event is outdoors. While attendance is not enforced, it is strongly encouraged to attend this event.
- Blastoff! After-Party | Sunday, Aug. 20, 8 - 9:30 p.m
All other KSU Kickoff events are optional but will play a critical role in helping you to meet new people and make connections to the university. Check out the KSU Kickoff Events schedule in Early August for details. Please note, some events require advanced registration.
Prepare for KSU Kickoff!
To prepare for KSU Kickoff you should:
Download DKS Mobile from your app store
Don't sweat the rest! At check-in, staff will help you navigate all things KSU Kickoff and find your first Flashes 101 class meeting location. (Meeting locations during KSU Kickoff vary by college and are not in the same location that your class will meet during the semester.)
If you have questions at any time, please don’t hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 330-672-2480.
Move-In and/or KSU Kickoff Preparation
All first-year students should continue to use the DKS Mobile app during KSU Kickoff. The DKS Mobile app is the app you used to guide you through DKS New Student Orientation and contains the content necessary to keep you informed of important information and help you make the most of your KSU Kickoff experience.
The KSU Kickoff portal in the DKS Mobile App contains:
- A comprehensive Move-In Week and KSU Kickoff event calendar (including event registration)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Live Bus Tracker
- Shared Experience Location Finder
- Campus Maps
- And more!
Required Shared Experience
The Common Conversations shared experience is required for all first-year students. This experience will take place during KSU Kickoff where you will meet together as your Flashes 101 course section.
Do you have questions about KSU Kickoff?
The Center for Student Involvement is here to help!Contact & FAQs