The School of Biomedical Sciences offers graduate training in masters and doctoral programs in five focused program areas: Human Evolutionary Biology, Cellular and Molecular Biology, Neuroscience, Pharmacology and Physiology.
Students engage in an integrated curriculum to provide a strong foundation in biomedical sciences and in-depth knowledge in specific areas of interest. Research is conducted with faculty advisors at several major research institutions, including Kent State University, Northeast Ohio Medical University and the Lerner Research Institute of the Cleveland Clinic. By working together, we are able to train graduate students in a variety of disciplines for several career options.
The school's uniqueness in the State of Ohio is a compelling reason to apply, as are its outcomes. The majority of students (about 95 percent) graduate with the Ph.D. degree. Program graduates are employed in academic and research-related positions related to their field of training.
School of Biomedical Sciences Facts:
- Partners: Kent State University, NEOMED, the Cleveland Clinic Foundation
- Current enrollment: 68 graduate students
- Faculty: Over 100 full-time faculty members, located at 18 different departments and units at the partner institutions.
Kent State University Facts:
- Kent State has R1-Carnegie Classification designated university, highlighting the excellence and importance of research at Kent State.
- Ranked in Top 100 of Best Graduate Education Schools.
- Kent State faculty attract multimillion dollar research grants and contracts.
- 25th Safest Campus in the Country
- 25,00+ Kent Campus and graduate students
- U.S. News & World Report gave Kent State the exclusive first-tier ranking on its Best National Universities list.
- On the international scene, Times Higher Education of London ranked Kent State among the top 200 universities in the world.
- For more, see here: https://www.kent.edu/facts-figures
The City of Kent is a Vibrant College Town
Kent State University is located in Kent, Ohio, a town located on the banks of the Cuyahoga River. Kent is a family community with an excellent school system, tree-lined streets and a historic downtown with plenty of restaurants, shops, a cinema, and all other amenities and services you'll need. Kent State is just a short drive from the major metropolitan areas of Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown, and Canton. These cities and their surrounding areas are home to more than three million people who enjoy world-class museums, theaters, national and state parks, shopping, professional sports, and Fortune 500 companies. Kent is easily accessible from the Ohio and Pennsylvania turnpikes, major highways, and the Cleveland Hopkins International and Akron-Canton airports.
You Belong Here: Well-rounded Environment
When viewed together, the resources of three major public institutions, two area hospitals and a world-class research institute, provide unparalleled opportunities for research and education in the biomedical disciplines, the university's reputation and the community forge the perfect environment for pursuing your academic and career goals.