Coordinator for online program in Criminology and Criminal Justice
Executive Director of the Electrophysiological Neuroscience Laboratory of Kent
Teaching and Research Interests:
- Social psychology
- Group dynamics
- Neurosociology and social neuroscience
- Experimental design and quantitative methods
I am working on a number of projects looking at how the brain represents and supports social processes. The projects are being carried out in our EEG and VR laboratories, which is part of an interdisciplinary consortium created in 2014 with Rob Clements from Biology and Dave Fresco from Psychology.
ATTENTION STUDENTS: If you are interested in volunteering or possibly earning course credit for assisting our research team in the EEG lab, please complete the following form: Lab Assistant Application.
Read more about EEG or visit the website for the Electrophysiological Neuroscience Laboratory of Kent, ENLoK (formerly the Kent Electrophysiological Neuroscience Laboratory)
Recently FUNDED GRANTS & CONTRACTS:
- Pollock, Josh (PI) and Will Kalkhoff (co-PI). "Teamwork and Decision-Making Under Threat: Implementing an Immersive Virtual Reality Environment." Office of Naval Research, Defense University Research Instrumentation Program. Proposal No. 75764-LS-RIP. Funded at $72,872 for the period Feb. 1, 2020 - Jan. 31, 2021.
- Will Kalkhoff (PI) and Josh Pollock (co-PI). "Team Perception & Performance Under Threat." Department of the Army, U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, Army Research Office. Proposal No. 69810-LS. Funded at $360,000 for the period Sept. 1, 2017 - Aug. 31, 2020.
- Kalkhoff, Will (PI) and David Melamed (PI). Collaborative proposal between Kent State University and the Ohio State University: "The Neurodynamics of Social Status." Department of the Army, U.S. Army Research, Development and Engineering Command, Army Research Office. Proposal No. 67034-LS. Funded at $182,655 for the period May 1, 2015 - Dec. 1, 2016.
- Kalkhoff, Will (PI), Noah E. Friedkin (Co-PI), and Eugene C. Johnsen (Co-PI). 2007-2010. “Status Characteristics and Opinion Formation: A Theoretical Integration.” National Science Foundation; SES-0719310; $165,000 to KSU.
- Gregory, Stanford W., Jr. and Will Kalkhoff. 2011. U.S. Non-Provisional Patent No. 8,000,958. “A Device and Method for Improving Communication Through Dichotic Input of a Speech Signal.” Washington, D.C.: U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
RECENT PRESENTATIONS, INTERVIEWS, & PODCASTS:
- Your Brain at Work LIVE. November 5, 2021. "Power & Expectations: The Neuroscience of Group Dynamics." With Dr. Joy VerPlanck (Senior Insight Strategist, NeuroLeadership Institute) & Dr. David Rock (Co-Founder & CEO, NeuroLeadership Institute). (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4JczNbUtBk).
- The Annex Sociology Podcast. September 20, 2021. "Frontiers of Neurosociology." With Drs. Rengin Firat and Kalina Michalska. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUQtG1jZ2mQ).
- The Cayce Jamil Show. March 8, 2021. "Interview with the sociologist Will Kalkhoff on his research in vocal accommodation and neuroscience." (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QGH3_FsgDw&t=71s).
- Kalkhoff, Will, Richard T. Serpe, and Joshua Pollock. 2021. This View of Life Discussion Forum on “Evolutionary Science and Sociology: A New Beginning.” Panel session on “Neuroscience, Emotions, and Virtual Social Connections” (2/2/2021).
- Kalkhoff, Will and Joshua Pollock. 2020. "Team Perception & Performance Under Threat." Army Research Office, Life Sciences Division, Monthly Program Review/Seminar Series on Innovations in Bioscience Sensing & Signaling.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Joshua Pollock, Brennan Miller and Matthew Pfeiffer. 2018. "Electrophysiological Manifestations of Distress and Eustress." Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Kalkhoff, Will, David Melamed, Joshua Pollock, Matthew Pfeiffer, Brennan Miller and Jonathan Overton. 2017. "In Search of Expectations." 29th Annual Group Processes Conference, Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
- Kalkhoff, Will. 2017. "Why We Probably Shouldn't Ignore This." Kent State University, Department of Sociology, Colloquium Series Talk.
- Kalkhoff, Will. 2016. "Unlocking the Social Brain." Kent State University, Ambassador Crawford College of Business and Entrepreneurship.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Shane R. Thye, Edward J. Lawler, Joshua Pollock, Brennan Miller, Matthew Pfeiffer and Dudley Girard. 2015. "Affect, Behavior, and Brain Coordination in Social Exchange." 27th Annual Group Processes Conference, Chicago, Illinois.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Shane R. Thye, and Stanford W. Gregory, Jr. 2015. "Hear Me Out! Exploring the Relationship Between Vocal Adaptation and Audience Perceptions of Dominance and Prestige." Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association, Chicago, Illinois.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Richard T. Serpe, Joshua Pollock, Brennan Miller and Matthew Pfeiffer. 2014. "Self-Motives and the Neural Processing of Identity-Relevant Feedback: An Electroencephalographic Study." Identity Conference 2014, University of California, Riverside, Riverside, California.
- Kalkhoff, Will, Kristen Marcussen and Richard T. Serpe. 2014. "Verification Versus Enhancement Revisited: Clarifying the Effect of Identity Discrepancies on Distress and Moral Emotions." Annual Meetings of the American Sociological Association, San Francisco, California.
SELECTED PROFESSIONAL SERVICE ACTIVITIES:
- Member, KSU Research and Sponsored Programs Faculty Advisory Committee (fall 2021 - current)
- Member, KSU Appeals Committee (spring/summer 2021)
- Member, Academic Subprogramming Committee (fall 2020)
- Member, Executive Committee, Brain Health Research Institute, Kent State University
- Fellow, Inter-University Seminar on Armed Forces and Society
- Member, National Science Foundation Advisory Panel (2017-present).
- Chair, Committee on Nominations, Evolution, Biology and Society section, American Sociological Association (2018).
- Chair, Evolution, Biology and Society section, American Sociological Association (2017-2018).
- Deputy Editor, Social Psychology Quarterly (2014-2017).
- Editorial Board member, Advances in Group Processes (2014- ).
- Chair, Recent Contribution Award Committee, Section on Emotions, American Sociological Association (2016).
- Member, American Sociological Review task force, Suggested ASR Reviewer Guidelines for Papers Using the Experimental Method (2015)
- Chair, Best Faculty Book Award Committee, Section on Evolution, Biology and Society, American Sociological Association (2014).
- Elected member, Evolution, Biology and Society Section Council, American Sociological Association (2013-2016).
- Elected member, Social Psychology Section Council, American Sociological Association (2010-2013).
- Editorial Board member, Social Psychology Quarterly (2008-2010).
- Co-organizer, 18th Annual Group Processes Conference, Montreal (Quebec) Canada (2006).