Flashes Fighting Hunger
Flashes Fighting Hunger at Kent State University is a student-powered and volunteer-driven organization dedicated to reducing food waste and promoting food security.
Utilizing recovered food, shared kitchen space in Tri-Towers, and volunteers who want to make a difference, Flashes Fighting Hunger is able to host multiple food pantries on-campus each week. It also is able to prepare 250+ nutritious meals for those struggling with food insecurity. The organization also collaborates with the Center for Nutrition Outreach at Kent to provide fresh food for the Mighty Pack program, has a weekly presence at the Haymaker Farmers’ Market, and provides fresh food to the Kent State CARES Center.
Find Volunteer Opportunities Here
Weekly Food Pantries
Open to all members of the Kent State and surrounding community:
Tri Towers Rotunda 1475 Leebrick Dr. You’ll find us at the door of the intersection of Leebrick Dr. and Senhauser Dr., behind the PARTA bus stop.
Click here to access a map.
Weekly food distribution shifts are open to all members of the Kent State and surrounding community. Although we have a basic intake process for first time users consisting of requesting basic information (name, date of birth, address and telephone number if applicable), no proof of income or residency is ever required.
Spring 2023 Pantry Schedule (last day May 5th):
Tuesdays and Fridays:
- Appointments: 3:00-5:30 p.m.
- Walk-Ins: 5:30-6:00 p.m.
Summer 2023 Pantry Schedule (beginning May 9th):
Tuesdays (beginning May 9th)
- Appointments from 2:00-4:30 p.m.
- Walk-Ins from 4:30-5:00 p.m.
Fridays (beginning May 12th)
- Appointments from 3:00-5:30 p.m.
- Walk-Ins from 5:30-6:00 p.m.
Appointments open one week prior to the desired date. Please schedule your time by visiting the following link: Schedule Flashes Fighting Hunger Food Pantry.
If you are a current Kent State student and continue to experience food insecurity or have challenges meeting your basic needs, please contact the CARES Center at Kent State.
Mobile Food Pantry
The Mobile Food Pantry launched in the fall of 2021 thanks to the generous support of community donors and Kent State’s Culinary Services, who donated the box truck for food security efforts. The Mobile Pantry will expand food access to pockets of the Portage County community that face challenges to utilizing current resources such as lack of transportation or residing in food deserts. Any person or organization interested in hosting a pop-up pantry with our mobile unit should email email@example.com to inquire.
Drive-thru Food Distribution
The Kent State Drive-thru Food Distribution is every third Wednesday of the month from 1-3 PM in the parking lot of Dix Stadium. Each month Flashes Fighting Hunger partners with the Akron Canton Regional Foodbank to provide a large-scale food distribution for all members of the community. Anyone is welcome to receive boxes of supplemental groceries and no proof of income or residency is necessary. The food distribution is contactless and volunteers will place food items in vehicles.
- National Domestic Violence Hotline 1-800-799-7233
- Suicide & Crisis Hotline 988
- Crisis Text Line 741-741
- Sexual Abuse National Network 800-656-4673
- Safer Futures 330-673-2500
- Mental Health & Recovery Board 330-678-HELP
- 211 330-297-4636
- Portage Path 330-434-9144
- Phyllis Zumkehr County Clothing Center 330-296-0503
- Goodwill 330-677-5402
- Family & Community Services 330-297-7027
- Flashes Fighting Hunger at KSU 330-672-7876
- Center of Hope 333-297-5454
- Kent Social Services 330-673-6963
- Portage County WIC 330-297-9422
- Trinity Lutheran Church 330-673-5445
- The Women’s Center at KSU 330-672-9230
- Brimfield Community Cupboard 330-510-1084
- Coleman Professional Services 330-673-1347
- Planned Parenthood 330-678-8011
- AxessPointe Community Health 330-673-1016
- Coleman Rental Management 330-673-1347
- Housing & Emergency Support 330-296-1111
- Miller Community House 330-673-0034
- Community Action Council of Portage County 330-297-1456
- Community Legal Aid Services 330-297-1569
- Portage County Child Enforcement Support Agency 330-297-3791
- Alcoholics Anonymous 330-678-3006
- National Alliance on Mental Illness 330-673-1756 ext.230
- PARTA 330-676-6701
Porter’s Taxi 330-328-9029
- Emerald Transportation 330-673-7475
Thanks to the generous support of local food donors and volunteers, thousands of students, faculty, staff and community members benefit from the Flashes Fighting Hunger program each year.
- Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank
- Co Bank
- Haymaker Farmers’ Market
- Hillel at Kent State
- Portage Community Foundation
- Trader Joes
- United Christian Ministries
- Countless individuals and KSU groups throughout the community!
- Center of Hope
- Kent Social Services
- Kentway Apartments
- Portage Metropolitan Housing Authority
- Trinity Lutheran Church
- Upper Room Ministries