Department Reorganizations & Name Changes
For employees and students, Kent State University is large enough that it is basically a small town in and of itself, comprised of multiple campuses and divisions and hundreds of departments across the university system.
As a result, it isn’t uncommon for a unit to undertake a name change or reorganization. Because either undertaking is quite complex, this web page will serve as your guide through the process.
What is a reorganization?
Reorganization can include actions such as:
- Creating new units
- Renaming a unit with no effect on the unit structure
- Eliminating units
- Moving a unit from one college into another college or moving a unit from one division into another division
- Separating one existing unit into two or more units
- Combining two or more existing separate units into one unit
Why are reorganizations done?
You may find it necessary to change how your unit operates to:
- Accommodate changing unit priorities;
- Initiate new programs;
- Respond to changing legislation or policy;
- Enhance/enrich communication;
- Enhance organizational effectiveness; and/or
- Address budget reductions.