Summer Fashion Academy
The Kent State University School of Fashion Design and Merchandising Summer Fashion Academy will take place June 12-17, 2023.
The Summer Fashion Academy
The academy is a one-week program that introduces high school students to key areas in fashion design and merchandising. The Summer Fashion Academy will allow creative, motivated teens to explore their passion for fashion in a pre-college, summer residence program. Our mission is to inspire creative and resourceful fashion leaders.
The Summer Fashion Academy is for students who:
- Have completed their sophomore year of high school
- Are 16 to 18 years of age
- Are passionate about fashion
- Are interested in exploring careers in the $4 billion fashion industry
The Summer Fashion Academy is a one-week program that offers a carefully curated series of lessons and activities that approach fashion from multiple angles, examining both the design and business aspects. The program is every bit as fun as it is enriching. During the course of the week, students will work individually and in teams to complete a variety of creative projects.
In five days packed with creative exploration, students will:
- Create a three-dimensional design, from initial idea to developed concept to finished garment
- Use the digitally equipped TechStyleLAB to design an accessory
- Explore the foundations of fashion design
- Learn about fashion’s history and the role fashion plays in our society
- Meet other students who share their passion for fashion
- Have access to the resources and instructors of a world-class fashion institution
The Summer Fashion Academy will be a unique opportunity for teens interested in fashion careers to explore the underlying mechanisms and processes of the fashion world. Furthermore, the academy offers students a true preview of the college experience, preparing teens for the expectations, rigors and opportunities of college life.
- All-inclusive — includes five nights in a Kent State residence hall, all meals, supplies and materials
Online Registration Information
Attention Parents and Students: We encourage everyone who will be clicking to register for a slot in the Summer Fashion Academy, to set your browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Internet Explorer) to "incognito" or "private" setting so that when you hit refresh, you will see the most up-to-date page available. Another way to accomplish this is to "clear your browsing data" on the browser's drop-down menu in between each time you hit refresh or re-click the link. Since all browsers are not created equal, we recommend you search "How to Clear Cache" for your specific browser. Thank you!
Space within the academy is limited to 30 participants and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Housing Information and Details
All students will stay in Kent State University housing (double occupancy) in residence halls on campus. Counselors reside in the residence halls to supervise at all times. Roommate requests can be noted on the application and we will do our best to accommodate requests.
What to Pack
Sheets, light blanket, pillows and regular-sized towels are provided, although we highly recommend bringing personal blankets and pillows. Meals will be provided; however, if you wish to bring additional snacks or money, please plan accordingly.
Are the Students Left Alone?
- All activities are monitored by faculty in the classroom or by the academy team, which consists of the academy coordinator and counselors during non-class time.
- All daytime activities are group activities, and students are not left alone except during curfew.
- The academy team makes every effort to establish a safe and secure environment and asks that students do their part as well, following house safety rules while here.
- There is a strict, zero-tolerance policy regarding smoking and the use of illicit substances. The academy life team does its best to ensure these rules are followed and will dismiss any student who is found to be breaking these rules.
The School of Fashion's Summer Fashion Academy
The Shannon Rodgers and Jerry Silverman School of Fashion Design and Merchandising
P.O. Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001
515 Hilltop Dr.
Kent State University
Kent, OH 44242-0001
Cancelation and Refund Policy
Refunds will only be issued in extenuating circumstances.
For more information about studying Fashion at Kent State University, please visit https://www.kent.edu/fashion/admissions.