Current KSU Students
If you’re currently studying at Kent State University and want to find out more about Study Away options, we strongly recommend speaking to your advisor before starting the application process. They’ll help you tailor your experience to your academic goals and graduation plan.
WHAT DO I NEED TO BE ELIGIBLE FOR STUDY AWAY?
- You’ll need a minimum 2.500 overall GPA to take part in any of our Study Away programs.
Florence, NYC, Paris, London, South Korea, and Hong Kong programs:
- You’ll need to successfully complete all sophomore (20000-level) fashion design or fashion merchandising courses before taking part.
Hong Kong program:
- As a maximum of five students are chosen for this competitive program each spring semester, we recommend only students with a 3.00 overall GPA apply.
- We strongly advise only junior level students should take part in this program, as any senior-level fashion merchandising student or any fashion design student will have a delayed graduation if they do so.
LA Study Tour:
- This program is open to junior and senior-year fashion students.
HOW TO APPLY FOR STUDY AWAY
- Attend Study Away Day in September – the dates will be announced through email and social media.
- Make an appointment with your advisor to plan your study away location and semester.
- Apply through the Pre-Approval application link which opens in September of each year after Study Away Day and closes in December. The link will be sent out to students via email and social media.
- In January, you will be notified if you are able to study away. Then, you will fill out your Commitment Contract.
- Each program has different dates for deposits. This will be discussed in the letter you receive after your Commitment Contract is received and at Study Away Day.
THE STUDY AWAY APPLICATION PROCESS TIMELINE
- September – December: Complete the Pre-Approval Application
- You’ll need to complete a Pre-Approval Application one academic year before you plan to study away with Kent State University’s School of Fashion.
- Please make sure you’ve discussed your study away preferences and options with your academic advisor first. This will help you make the right decision based on your academic progress, career goals and eligibility.
- January: Review your Pre-Approval Application Status
- You’ll receive an email regarding your Pre-Approval Application Status.
- If you’ve been approved, you’ll be able to move onto the next step in your preferred study away program(s) application. You’ll also be notified if your application has been denied due to your GPA and/or course progress, which means you won’t be able to move forward.
- January: Submit your Commitment Contract (If you’re planning on participating in the Paris Semester, South Korea, London, and Hong Kong Exchange programs, you won’t need to submit a Commitment Contract. Please see the next step.)
- Next, you’ll need to submit your Commitment Contract for each study away program you’ve been approved for. You’ll find a link to the Commitment Contract in your Pre-Approval Application Status email.
- Even though submitting a Commitment Contract reserves your space in the study away program, your spot won’t be guaranteed until you pay the program fee.
- It’s really important to submit your Commitment Contract as soon as you can; many program locations can only accept a limited number of students each semester and Commitment Contracts are accepted on a first come, first served basis.
- February: Submit your Program Application (This step only applies to the Paris Semester, South Korea, London, and Hong Kong Exchange programs. )
- If you’re approved to apply for the Paris Semester, South Korea, London, and Hong Kong Exchange programs, you’ll need to submit your official Program Application by February 1.
- You’ll find a link to the Program Application in your Pre-Approval Application Status email.
- You’ll also need to submit a one-page resume and an essay on why you’d like to study away at your selected location.
- February, March or July: Pay your Program Fee
- Your spot on any of our programs won’t be secure until you’ve paid the program fee.
- You’ll be emailed information about how to pay after your Commitment Contract (Florence, NYC, Paris Summer, and LA Study Tour) or Program Application (Paris Semester, South Korea, London, and Hong Kong Exchange) has been accepted
- Summer Program fee payment deadline: February 1
- Fall Program fee payment deadline: March 1
- Spring Program fee payment deadline: July 1
OTHER USEFUL RESOURCES