A Philosophy major or minor is not only an intellectually stimulating and rewarding course of study available at Kent State University, it is a great way to develop critical and creative thinking skills, an ability to read complex material with comprehension, and a facility with both creative and technical writing. These are skills that today's employers are seeking and which no employee can afford to be without. With a Philosophy major or minor, you are well prepared for a wide range of career opportunities.
An excellent guide to the career and non-financial benefits of a philosophy degree are available at philosophyisagreatmajor.com.
How do I major or minor in Philosophy?
Interested in Graduate Studies?
Interested in a Career in Business?
Interested in a Career in Law?
"Focus 2" Major & Career Information
- Create an account in Focus 2 to reveal your best career-fit and explore majors that connect you to your career
Match Majors to Careers
U.S. Department of Labor Websites
- Occupational Outlook Handbook - Learn about occupations including responsibilities, salaries, education required, and employment outlook
- Career One Stop - Explore careers, salary and benefits, training required, and employment seeker services by state
- O*Net - Quick search tool for Ohio employment data and more
Ohio's In-Demand Careers
- In-Demand Careers - Learn about growing fields in the state of Ohio
Talk with Faculty, Family and Professionals
- Find out what a career is really like by speaking to someone in the field. Review the informational interviewing questions to ask and the list of possible people in your network to speak with.
- Talk with your professors who have a wealth of knowledge about their career fields.
- Chat with family members about their work experiences and:
- how they selected their careers
- what they find rewarding/challenging
- what skills they utilize
- what their long-term goals are