Academic Services offers the following placement testing:
- ALEKS placement testing (may be taken remotely with online proctoring service)
- ALEKS placement exams are monitored via a lockdown browser. Your computer must be compatible with the lockdown browser. The following browsers are NOT compatible: Microsoft Edge, Google Chromebooks (for live proctoring only), Tablets (e.g., Nexus, iPad, Tab, Note, etc.), smartphones, Linux OS, Windows 10 in S mode, or Surface RT.
- ALEKS re-assessment (must be proctored on campus after completing learning modules; contact Nancy Rahn)
- ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer® (must be proctored on campus)
- If you are a 100%-online student who is geographically too far away to take the test in person, please email Nancy Rahn
Newly admitted first-year and transfer students and College Credit Plus (CCP) applicants should review the information listed below to determine if they need to take any placement tests. Placement test results are used by academic advisors to determine proper course placement, so it is important that students try their best. There is no fee to take placement tests; however, only students admitted to Kent State University at Geauga and the Twinsburg Academic Center or CCP applicants can take the placement tests.
Newly Admitted First-year Freshmen and Transfer Students
Students will receive an email indicating if they need to test. You can also log in to your Applicant Portal and look under Recent Activities to see if you need to test, refer to your acceptance packet, or contact the Admissions Office.
College Credit Plus Applicants (includes students entering grades 7-12) should register for ACCUPLACER if:
- You do not have a 3.0 cumulative high school GPA
- You are a middle school student without an established high school GPA
- You do not have ACT or SAT scores, or your scores are over two years old
- View CCP eligibility guidelines
How to Take ALEKS and ACCUPLACER Reading and WritePlacer®
ALEKS: View the Kent website for more information on how to take ALEKS.
ACCUPLACER: To schedule an appointment to take ACCUPLACER, register online at the campus location of your choice.
Test Preparation: While not required, we encourage students to take advantage of free test preparation materials available at the following links: ALEKS Test Prep, ACCUPLACER Reading Test Prep, and Writeplacer Test Prep.
- Or, download the Accuplacer Study App for Accuplacer Next-Generation Reading and Next-Generation Writeplacer test prep.
- Please contact our Academic Services Department with any questions you may have about test preparation.