STARK CAMPUS ADVISORIES
No advisories at this time.
Kent State Stark will post delays, cancellations and closings in the following ways:
- Flash ALERTS text message.
- An email to your @kent.edu email account.
- Kent State Stark homepage at www.kent.edu/stark. A red bar containing an announcement will appear on the top of the page if there is a delay or closing.
- Kent State Stark Facebook and Instagram accounts.
- Television and radio broadcasts. See list below.
Flash ALERTS is Kent State’s official emergency text notification system to alert subscribers of critical information no matter what time it is or where they are in the world. Flash ALERTS expands the university's ability to send critical news and information to the university community during campus emergencies.
Effective Oct. 5, 2023, students, faculty and staff are automatically entered into our Flash ALERTS system to receive urgent notifications as they relate to all campuses via text-enabled mobile phone or device. University community members may access the system any time to update mobile numbers or add a parent’s phone number to also receive the alerts. Each subscriber can include up to five contact numbers as a Flash ALERTS recipient.
Update your Flash ALERTS profile:
- If you had previously signed up to receive Flash ALERTS and added additional cellphone numbers prior to Oct. 4, 2023, you will need to add those phone numbers to your user profile one more time due to this transition.
- To receive text alerts, make sure that your cellphone number has been added to your FlashLine account. Please be aware that older phones may not work due to limitations by your cellphone provider.
CANCELING CLASSES OR CLOSING CAMPUS
While the safety of our people is our priority, in general the university does not close or cancel classes because of cold weather, winter ice and/or snow. However, there are those rare occasions when weather conditions may delay or cancel classes, or close the Stark Campus. (Note: Kent State campuses will follow the general guidelines below, but each campus makes its own decisions based on weather conditions near their campuses.)
When inclement weather threatens or extreme cold prevails, we expect to announce our actions by 5:30 a.m. for morning and all-day cancellations, 10 a.m. for afternoon classes and 3 p.m. for evening classes. In general, our decision will be guided by the condition of major roadways leading to campus, by the condition of campus roadways and sidewalks and by our ability to plow our parking lots. For extreme cold, we will delay or cancel when the wind chill reaches (or is predicted to reach) -20 degrees Fahrenheit for an extended period.
In the event that a Kent State Stark cancels classes due to inclement weather or other emergency, university policy specifies that:
- Morning classes begin before 12 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Afternoon classes begin after 12 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Evening classes begin after 4:15 p.m. Monday through Friday.
For example, if your class begins at 3:30 p.m. and evening classes are canceled, you are still expected to attend your 3:30 p.m. class.
There are several ways to learn about delays, class cancellations or campus closings:
- Flash ALERTS, which anyone who has provided us with a domestic cellphone number will receive. Find out how to set your campus preferences.
- An email to your @kent.edu email account.
- Kent State or Kent State Stark website. A red bar containing an announcement will appear on the top of the homepage if there is a cancellation or closing.
- Television and radio broadcasts.
Keep in mind:
- We understand that on bad weather days some areas on campus may require additional attention. Please help identify those areas by calling the Stark Business Office at 330-244-3231.
- When classes are canceled and campus remains open, staff members are expected to report to work as usual, unless directed otherwise.
- Employees and commuting students should always use sound personal judgments regarding the safety of their travel when deciding whether or not to report to work or classes. Students must arrange to make up missed work promptly; university leave policy governs the reporting and recording of work absences.
- When driving in the snow, please warm up your car before driving, allow extra travel time to get to your destination and go slow.
- Students in special classes, such as clinical rotations, should consult with their program coordinator on the appropriate procedures for an early morning delay or cancellation.
- A closing order from the Governor’s Office applies to state office buildings and other state employees in the field. Colleges and universities do not fall into this category.
Additional Information Concerning Classes
Kent State will continue to use Flash ALERTS to inform faculty, staff and students when severe weather requires the university to close. In these rare instances, classes taught in person will not be held in person, but classes offered through online formats will continue as scheduled. Although in-person classes will not take place on campus, at their discretion, instructors teaching in-person courses may consider conducting a synchronous remote session – and recording those sessions to make them available for students not able to connect – and/or assigning appropriate asynchronous work. Instructors should inform students before the class is scheduled to begin by email or Canvas about the expectations for their participation.
- Read 2023-24 Winter Weather Advisory Information (pdf) from Melody Tankersley, Senior Vice President and Provost, and Mark M. Polatajko, Senior Vice President for Finance and Administration (emailed on Wednesday, Oct. 11, 2023).
Should it be necessary to cancel all classes for any reason, cancellations will be announced via local radio and television stations. Announcements of class cancellations and/or campus closings will be made on the following stations:
|AM RADIO||FM RADIO||TELEVISION||WEB|
|WHLO 640||WZKL 92.5||FOX TV||CANTONREP.COM|
|WTAM 1100||WHBC 94.1||WKYC 3||WKSU.ORG|
|WDPN 1310||WQMX 94.9||WEWS 5|
|WJER1450||WAKS 96.5||WJW 8|
|WHBC 1480||WONE 97.5||WOIO 19|
|WJMP 1520||WKDD 98.1||WVPX 23|
|WAKR 1590||WGAR 99.5||WVIZ 25|
|RADIO FREE OHIO 1350||WTUZ 99.9||WAOH 29|
|WNIR 100||WUAB 43|