Prepare for Advising
Here are some tips to remember as you prepare for a productive meeting with your advisor:
- Schedule your advising appointment in advance. At peak times of the year, it may be difficult to get an appointment with your academic advisor at a moment’s notice.
- Show up on-time for your advising appointment. If you are unable to make your appointment, please refer to your appointment email to cancel the appointment well in advance.
- Make sure in all correspondence to provide your Kent State University ID number. This is NOT the same number on your FLASHcard. If you cannot remember this, you can look it up on your FLASHLINE, My Account tab.
- Think about your goals, major options and progress in your courses (if currently enrolled).
- Ask yourself: what are your educational and personal goals; what do you need next semester-are you thinking about internships, research; are you having difficulties with course material, or time management; are there strategies that have helped you overcome academic challenges?
- Monitor your progress towards graduation. Review your GPS Audit through FlashLine.
- Prepare a selection of courses. Include those that you would like to take and/or think you may need for your degree or transfer plan.
During Your Appointment
- Participate and be engaged in the advising process. Academic advising is a two-way street. We need to know what your educational and academic goals are in order to be able to point you in the right direction.
- Ask questions. This is your opportunity to get answers to your academic questions and/or concerns.
- Take notes. You and your academic advisor may discuss a lot of information and you can use your notes to refer back to later.